Last week MBW broke the news that Sony Music Group’s guardian, Sony Corporation, had made a strategic investment of $250 million in Epic Games – the creator of hit video game Fortnite and Unreal Engine.
You would possibly keep in mind, that quite a few months previous to Sony’s investment in Epic, the 2 firms’ “close relationship” resulted in a record-breaking digital live performance in Fortnite by (Sony label) Epic Records-signed Travis Scott, which was watched by round 28m followers.
Kenichiro Yoshida, Chairman, President and CEO, Sony Corporation, pledged in Sony’s press launch final week that “through our investment, we will explore opportunities for further collaboration with Epic to delight and bring value to consumers and the industry at large, not only in games, but also across the rapidly evolving digital entertainment landscape”.
Yoshida’s promise ties in along with his firm’s long-floated imaginative and prescient of “One Sony”, a roadmap for a way Sony Music Group-signed music artists/songwriters may gain advantage from a novel connection to Sony Corp’s different divisions equivalent to Sony Pictures (motion pictures and TV) and Sony Game & Network Services (together with PlayStation).
Back in May, MBW steered that 2020 might turn into a pivotal yr for “One Sony”, as we revealed that Sony Music was hiring for an in-house staff “dedicated to reimagining music through immersive media”, with a specialism in working with Unreal Engine – the Epic Games-developed platform that powers a bunch of blockbuster video video games (together with Fortnite).
Now, we study that Sony Music is doubling down on its investment in that exact same staff.
According to a contemporary pair of job descriptions noticed by MBW, Sony Music is planning to “bring to life a new era of immersive entertainment centered around music for an unannounced project”.
The vacancies have been posted by Sony final week.
The Los Angeles-based roles are for a Senior Game Services Engineer and Senior Game Networking Engineer, and whereas the respective job descriptions don’t spell out precisely what the unannounced project can be, they do present us with a number of clues:
- Applicants for the Senior Game Services Engineer function require 6-Eight years’ expertise in creating on-line game companies for giant scale, business multiplayer video games – and, particularly, require expertise working with the PlayStation platform;
- By “Leveraging Sony Music’s vast catalog and roster of artists,” provides the job description,” the profitable candidate “will lead the development of online game services and tools ranging from matchmaking to lobby systems and monetization systems to analytics; challenging oneself to bring to life a new era of immersive entertainment centered around music for an unannounced project”;
- The Senior Game Networking Engineer, in the meantime, will want 4-6 years’ expertise creating on-line multiplayer devoted servers, once more with particular expertise of working with PlayStation, however additionally having “worked on an open world RPG”;
- The profitable applicant, states the advert, might want to have “worked on and shipped multiple online titles using the Unreal engine at scale”;
- This particular person’s remit may also embrace main “the development of cross platform online multiplayer game play by synchronizing game state for players through native Unreal engine networking; challenging oneself to bring to life a new era of immersive entertainment centered around music for an unannounced project”.
In May, Epic Games reported that Fortnite has over 350 million registered gamers.
The cell model of Fortnite crossed $1 billion in lifetime participant spending on the App Store and Google Play, in simply over two years after its launch.
And as explored over on Rolling Stone this week, Sony Corporation appears to be financially committing to its music division like by no means earlier than in latest years.
Does this imply that Tencent, which now part-owns each Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group, will inevitably be frozen out of shopping for its manner into Sony Music Group?Music Business Worldwide